Therapy for Children in Grand Rapids, MIGreat Lakes Wellness Counseling: Providing Therapy for Children
At Great Lakes Wellness Counseling, we understand the importance of your child’s mental and emotional well-being. We offer specialized therapy services that support your child’s individual needs. Our team of dedicated therapists for children is committed to providing caring, professional, and effective therapy, helping them thrive and reach their potential.
Therapy for Children at Great Lakes Wellness Counseling Kids! is where we want you to find some rest, some help, and relief from a situation that’s probably been happening for a while now. You’re a good parent. We want you to remember that we know that! Sometimes though, we all just need an extra bit of help to ease tension, stop the fighting, and wipe the tears away to bring life, love, and laughter back to you and your child.
Parenting is No Easy Task!
The journey of raising a child is filled with ups and downs, challenges, and moments of pure joy. From sleepless nights, and endless diaper changes to tantrums and teenage drama, we want you to know we get it. There’s a roller coaster ride, and it comes with being a parent. It’s a constant, balancing act of love, patience, guidance, and learning. We want to know that we see you, and we acknowledge the effort you put into shaping those young lives. We’re here with you every step of the way. Remember that you’re doing an amazing job even on those tough days when you question yourself.
Our Approach to Therapy for Children in Michigan
At Great Lakes Wellness Counseling, we take a personalized and child-centered approach to therapy. We believe that each child is unique, special, and awesome in their own way! Our therapy sessions and interventions are designed in ways that are practical, helpful, and easy to use at home as well. Our child therapists use evidenced-based techniques, age-appropriate strategies, and real-life experiences to help your child.
How do I know if my child needs therapy?
Excessive anger, sadness, worry, or frequent mood swings.
Withdrawal, aggression, excessive fearfulness, or difficulty concentrating.
Declines in academic performance or increased problems with friends.
Struggles with learning or developmental delays.
Traumatic events such as abuse, loss, or a major life change.
Family changes such as divorce, moving, or the birth of a new sibling.
Physical complaints such as frequent headaches, body aches, or nausea with no medical cause.
Unresolved grief or loss due to the death or loss of a loved one.
What are the benefits of counseling for children?
Counseling for children or child therapy offers many benefits that can positively impact a child or teen’s development.
To clarify there are seven key benefits to therapy for children:
1. Emotional Regulation: Child therapy provides a space where children can learn and develop healthy coping strategies to manage their emotions such as anger, sadness, or anxiety.
2. Improved Communication Skills: Through therapy, children can increase their emotional vocabulary, and improve their ability to communicate their thoughts and feelings.
3. Increased Self-Esteem: Therapists work with children to identify and challenge negative self-perceptions, beliefs, and how they think and talk about themselves increasing self-worth and confidence.
4. Social Skill Development: Child therapy gives a place and space for children to practice skills like sharing, taking turns, empathy, and getting along with others better.
5. Trauma & Grief Support: Child therapy offers a safe space for children to process and heal from traumatic events or experiences, such as abuse, loss, or significant life changes.
6. Behavioral Management: Counseling for children can help parents and children identify and understand the underlying causes of problematic behaviors, and increase positive behaviors, and self-control.
7. Academic Support: Therapy can help children concentrate, manage stress, and develop problem-solving skills for school. Additionally, therapy for children can lead to increased motivation, improved self-regulation, and better academic performance.
How does therapy for children in Michigan work?
Child therapy is like a ray of hope, creating a safe and nurturing space where kids can face their challenges head-on. Through activities like play, art, crafts, and conversation, therapists build trust. Then they can use a personalized approach fitting each child’s unique needs. We keep an eye on progress with regular sessions, involving parents as needed, which gives us a sense of optimism.
How do I know when therapy is done?
As therapy moves forward, hope grows stronger. When big breakthroughs happen or progress is noticeable, it’s exciting, but therapy isn’t done quite yet.We’ll keep supporting the child as they walk their path towards emotional well-being, resilience, and a brighter future. Therapy is likely finished when the child has made significant progress or achieved their goals. After that, it’s common for children to have monthly maintenance sessions to make sure those changes are there to stay. You can always bring your child in for a tune-up session too!
Have your child start therapy for children in Grand Rapids today!
Are you in need of some time to recharge? Allow our child therapists to help. Your child can feel happy and empowered with therapy for children at Great Lakes Wellness Counseling. Watch your child become resilient!
- Contact us or call (616)202-1910 for a free consultation.
- Schedule your child for their therapy session.
- Watch your child bloom and enjoy childhood again.
Other Therapy Services We Offer Near Grand Rapids, MI
At our counseling office in Jenison, MI, we understand that every child’s life experiences are different. That’s why we offer a variety of mental health services provided by our therapists who recognize the uniqueness of each child. We specialize in Christian counseling, men’s counseling, women’s counseling, and marriage/couple counseling. We also have services for teen anxiety, depression, and grief.